Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

how are my analytics stats being tracked?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

hello,

I used to have a wordpress analytics plugin which I installed many years ago and in which I manually inserted the UA- xxxxx -xx code back then.

Today I deactivated that plugin, but I just went into google analytics and I see real time stats with visitors on my website.

How are they being tracked if I deactivated the plugin?

thank you

D.

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deon B
September 2016

Re: how are my analytics stats being tracked?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Deon :-)
I'd check that there isnt another copy of the tracking code inserted via a different method.
Sometimes site owners will add the tracking and forget having done it and then add it a 2nd time using a different method.
One lot of tracking code gets removed and the forgotten one still remains on the site pages and keeps tracking.

If you have deactivated the plugin you can check if there is another copy of the code still installed using a browser addon like
Google Tag Assistant
https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2947095?hl=en&ref_topic=6000196

If you use a caching plugin and do not clear the cache after making changes, then ppl may still be visiting cached pages that contain the
tracking code.

You may also be seeing some data that is spam data and not from real site visitors
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Deon B
September 2016

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Deon :-)
I'd check that there isnt another copy of the tracking code inserted via a different method.
Sometimes site owners will add the tracking and forget having done it and then add it a 2nd time using a different method.
One lot of tracking code gets removed and the forgotten one still remains on the site pages and keeps tracking.

If you have deactivated the plugin you can check if there is another copy of the code still installed using a browser addon like
Google Tag Assistant
https://support.google.com/tagassistant/answer/2947095?hl=en&ref_topic=6000196

If you use a caching plugin and do not clear the cache after making changes, then ppl may still be visiting cached pages that contain the
tracking code.

You may also be seeing some data that is spam data and not from real site visitors
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi thank you for your reply I just saw it.

Yes this is kind of a follow up to the previous thread where I wanted to remove the plugin. I still hadn't done that yet.

Anyways I checked my analytics stats and just on that day when I uninstalled the plugin I had a massive drop on analytics, so it may be like you say that some people are seeing the cached version with the tracking code otherwise it should be zero.

Anyways I pasted that code you gave me in the functions.php file just now (it was in fact supposed to go in the functions.php and not in the genesis code area) and let's see what happens. If I go into real-time analytics I can see the traffic, but I could see that even without plugin and without functions.php tracking code.

I added the tag assistant addon and it says no tags found.
What else could we try?

edit: I just re-checked using the same addon and it does see the tracking code. Cool. Thank you. I will just wait a couple of days to see if the stats on analytics go back to normal.

thank you
D.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hello :-)

I'd give it a couple of days, keeping in mind that changes can take 24-48hrs or so to reflect in reports and that the reports also do not include current day data unless the date range is changed to include the current day and that data has also been processed into the reports too.

Does the applicable GA Property have the default View with no filters and a seperate View with a hostname filter applied?
Have you looked at the traffic that is still tracking to see if it is legitimate traffic or possibly spam data and not from real site visitors

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
hello,
if I click on real time it seems like people visiting different pages of my website, so it seems like proper traffic.

Does the applicable GA Property have the default View with no filters and a seperate View with a hostname filter applied? No I don't know what's this hostname filter about, so I don't have it set up.

Btw there's a bug here.
I tick the 'subscription/notification' box to get an email when somebody replies, then if I leave the page and go back the box is un-ticked.

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
The problem with spam data is it can look like legitimate traffic.

Did you check those site pages with Google Tag Assistant to ensure there is no tracking code installed on them.

I strongly recommend reading the following article. It will inform you of the different types of data spam and teach you how to effectively keep your reports
free of it with the various required filters and custom segments etc
http://help.analyticsedge.com/spam-filter/definitive-guide-to-removing-google-analytics-spam/

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi
what do you mean by:
"Did you check those site pages with Google Tag Assistant to ensure there is no tracking code installed on them."
Why there shouldn't be tracking code on those pages?

Thanks for the article.
D.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
You said you have unistalled the tracking plugin etc but that you are still seeing data for pages that you should not be seeing data for.
Have you checked those pages you are still seeing data appear for that there is no tracking still somehow installed on those particular pages.
If you check the pages with Google Tag Assistant it will quickly tell you if there is any tracking still being seen on those pages and for which
Properties

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi yes but you missed this part:

Anyways I pasted that code you gave me in the functions.php file just now (it was in fact supposed to go in the functions.php and not in the genesis code area) and let's see what happens. If I go into real-time analytics I can see the traffic, but I could see that even without plugin and without functions.php tracking code.

So after uninstalling the plugin I replaced the code using functions.php And then I wrote that thru google tag assistant I found it was tracking.

I will just wait a couple more days and check the analytics stats to see if they go to normal with the new tracking code pasted in my child themes functions.php

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I checked back and everything looks normal.
Thank you.