Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

google analytics code combined with Google Tag Manager?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I hope someone can tell me if I should remove the Google Analytics code that I have on my webpages at the same time I insert the Google Tag Manager code? I mean - I do not want to create any conflicts when google reads my pages.

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: google analytics code combined with Google Tag Manager?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

When you set up tracking through Google Tag Manager you need to remove the Google Analytics tracking code from your site. You need to create an Universal Analytics tracking tag for your property in GTM, please check this document: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6163791?hl=en

Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thank you very much for your answer. I am just a site owner who try to do my best to keep my website on top in google and a couple of days ago I found out that I should now install Google Tag Manager. I got that code and have started inserting that code into my web pages but then it dawned on me that there might be a conflict having the Google analytics code inserted at the same time. When I got the Google Tag Manager code I cannot recall I ever was presented with the option of an Universal Analytics code.
It says: "In Google Tag Manager, select ‘Create Tag’ and then choose the Google Analytics tag template.
Select ‘Universal Analytics’" - but I can not see where I get the option of Create tag when I am now in Google Tag Manager?
Thank you again for your help

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi,

It is a little bit different in the current version of GTM. Please select "Tags" in the left column and click the red "New" button on the next screen. On the next screen name your tag, choose Google Analytics and Universal Analytics. Under "Configure Tag" enter your tracking ID and continue to the "Fire On" section. Choose "All Pages" and press the "Create Tag" button.

When you are ready with creating the tag publish the changes using the button in the top right corner.

You need to remove the Google Analytics tracking code in order to prevent duplicate pageviews because now you have the tracking tag inside the GTM container.

You can test if your tracking is set up properly using the Google Tag Assistant Chrome extension.
Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Catherine,
There is a way to safely migrate from GA tracking to GTM.. Please watch video for all the steps.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Dxi_-eZenA

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hello Santosh,

I wished I had seen your advice before I hired someone to do the job for me. I could not figure out how to do this so I gave up. Good video to watch though. Thank you

google analytics code combined with Google Tag Manager?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 7
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

What if I can not remove the Analytics Code from my site?
Using a E-Commerce Tracking Plugin for Magento which requires the GA Code to be on page for it to work.