AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3.8K members online now
3.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

eCommerce tracking - editing added product

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm working with a system that automatically adds analytics ecommerce codes for my website - for tracking adding products, impressions etc in various phases of the purchase flow (viewing products, cart, checkout, order approval, etc). for example on checkout:

ga('ec:setAction', 'checkout');

ga('ec:addProduct', {'id':'1010974', 'name':'Atopica 10 mg, 15 Capsules ', 'category':'Allergy Medicine', 'brand':'Novartis Animal Health', 'variant':'', 'price':38.8300, 'quantity': 1 });

ga('send', 'event', 'checkout', 'start', 'On Checkout Page');

and for impressions:

ga('ec:setAction', 'detail');
ga('ec:addImpression', {'id':'1010974', 'name':'Atopica 10 mg, 15 Capsules ', 'category':'Sale/Pet Pharmacy/Allergy Relief', 'brand':'Novartis Animal Health', 'list':'Allergy Relief', 'position':1 });
ga('ec:addImpression', {'id':'1040389', 'name':'Prednisone 5 mg, 60 Tablets', 'category':'Sale/Pet Pharmacy/Allergy Relief', 'brand':'Generic Mfr', 'list':'Allergy Relief', 'position':41 });
ga('ec:addImpression', {'id':'1041407', 'name':'Temaril-P, 1 Tablet', 'category':'Sale/Pet Pharmacy/Allergy Relief', 'brand':'Zoetis', 'list':'Allergy Relief', 'position':42 });

ga('send', 'event', 'Impressions', 'Listing', 'Product Impression', 1, {'nonInteraction': 1, 'useBeacon': true } );

My question is - can I edit those somehow on the same page using javascript, after they are already called? I might need to change some values and add some custom fields, for example adding - 'isMedicine':'yes'

maybe using something like "editProduct" or whatever is available:

ga('ec:editProduct', {'id':'1010974', 'isMedicine':'yes', 'quantity': 3, 'name':'Atopica 10 mg, 15 Capsules ', 'category':'Allergy Medicine', 'brand':'Novartis Animal Health', 'variant':'', 'price':38.8300, 'quantity': 3 });

if there's not such a direct way through the API, can you suggest some javascript way of changing the data, without handling it server side?

Thanks!

Asaf

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi you'll need to send subsequent GA calls with updated quantities/attributes.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

ok then, say that this was the original call:

ga('ec:addProduct', {'id':'1010974', 'name':'Atopica 10 mg, 15 Capsules ', 'price':38.8300, 'quantity': 1 });

and after that i'm calling again just for changing quantities and adding a field (isMedicine) for the same cart item:

ga('ec:addProduct', {'id':'1010974', 'isMedicine':'yes', 'name':'Atopica 10 mg, 15 Capsules ', 'price':38.8300, 'quantity': 3 });

will it accept another call like that to update the same item in the cart? won't it just consider it as another different item to add?

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Yes, just add another ec:addProduct call, attached to a page view or event.

GA will discriminate based on the product id/sku.

Also keep in mind you're just tracking an addToCart action, not tracking what's actually in the cart.

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan