Analytics
3.6K members online now
3.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

custom dimension sent but never shown in reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm using Google Tag Manager with Universal Analytics on a website.

I managed to track the users through the userId mechanism and the event tracking works fine.

I created some custom dimensions following these steps:

1. I created a custom dimension with scope "Hit" through the Analytics console and wrote down the dimension index
  2. I defined a tag in GTM that is fired by a custom event; I made this tag set the custom dimension (using the index I jotted down before) using the gui option "More settings -> Custom dimensions".

When I navigate the website triggering the forementioned tag, if I inspect the http traffic, I see some calls to google-analytics and they contain the parameters "cd1", "cd2", etc. referring to the custom dimensions I created. So I can say the custom dimensions are correctly sent.

When I try to find in Analytics the custom dimensions both as secondary dimensions in standard reports and as primary dimensions in custom reports there are always no data to be shown.

I hope someone can help me figuring out why the configuration doesn't work.

Thanks.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update:

The tag I use to send the custom dimensions has "Event" as track type. This way I can encode some data also as event attributes and see them in some Analytics' reports, for instance in "Real time -> Events" or "Behaviour -> Events -> Pages" .

I saw that the report "Behaviour -> Events -> Pages" can be customized so I used this one to create a new report. I added to the report some custom dimensions and in the custom report I managed to see the events with the custom dimensions correctly set.

I still don'understand why a custom report built from scratch and the custom dimensions used in standard reports never show data.

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star

Hi Simone,

You can't mix hit and session level dimensions and metrics with much success.  So if you try to use a hit level secondary dimension with a session level dimension like Source, for example, you won't get anything.  That's probably the root of your issue.  Hit custom dimensions should be used if that's really what you need them for.  e.g. the author of a blog post could be sent with the pageview and as this can change page to page, it should be set on the hit level.  If you are tracking something that does not change, like a CRM id for a user; this could be set at the user level and something like whether a user logged in for a session could be set for a session.  Just keep in mind that you wont have much luck mixing the three types in reports. 

You can use the explorer to help you find valid combinations:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/reporting/core/dimsmets#cats=session,user

but it won't help with custom dimensions as it won't know the scope (hit, session or user.)

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

Thank you for your reply. I thought it could be something related to mixing different scopes.

I have to use the hit scope since the information I have to collect can change in the same user's session.

Thank you also for giving me the link to the Analytics page providing valid combination dimension-metric but, as you said, it doesn't help with custom dimensions.

Regards,

Simone

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Update:

I created another custom report from scratch with a custom dimension. This time I applied a filter to the report searching only for the events that I know are responsible for setting the custom dimension (filtering on "Event Category"). This way I managed to see data in the report with the custom dimension properly set.