Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

custom dimension issue

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a custom dimension defined for hit Scope.

Pages which user goes traverses on site is:

home

pre-login

login

post-login

Custom dimensions are set on post-login page i.e. last page.

But when I check in GA page views report and add a secondary dimension for custom dimension,

I can see custom dimension values for home, pre-login and login page too.

Any idea if GA uses the values set on the post-login page to all the pages in the session?

Re: custom dimension issue

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

if the custom dimension is set to "hit" scope, its value is defined only for the pages in which the custom dimension was set.

So, I would expect that, in the "Behavior --> Site Content --> All pages" report, when you add the custom dimension as secondary dimension, only the last page "post-login" should have a custom dimension value populated.

If also other pages show the same values for the secondary custom dimension, I think it should be one of the following two reasons:

1) By mistake, the custom dimensions get actually set also in the other pages. I think this is the most likely reason. You can check it with a debugging tool like the Google Tag Assistant, and see if the dimension get set also on the other pages.

2) The scope of the custom dimensions is not set to "hit". However, you said that it is set to "hit", so this reason should be discarded.

Hope it helps!

Best,
Gabriele

Re: custom dimension issue

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Both the points don't apply in this case