AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Will a new Analytics tracking code cut access to old info?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Inherited a website and I want to track it with Analytics.

Got the old code running with all the statistics as before I took over the site.

But it is through a 3rd party who invited me in.

Should I put a new code - Will I have access to the statistics of the old site,

or will it start a clean sheet losing all the statistics collected so far?

Thanks!

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Ido I

Upgrading the tracking code will not affect your historical data in any way and you'll still be able to access it - as long as you use the same tracking ID.

If you simply create a new Google Account and/or create a new property to get a new code, then yes - you will start from scratch.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Let's see if I understand you correctly as the terminology (tracking code/id) confused me.

Old site manager gave me access to old analytics - He simply added me in the backend as a user.

I want (and he wants) to cut him out of the loop - to have my own access.

I need a new  UA-XXXXXX-xx ? (tracking code/id?)

I don't want to start from scratch. 

I have the  UA-XXX... He uses. Should I use it in some way to get the result I'm after?

Thanks! Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

The Tracking Code is the entire javascript snippet that you put on your site.

Inside the Tracking Code is the Tracking ID (UA-XXXX-X) which tells the tracking code what Analytics property should receive any data collected by the Tracking Code.

But if it's just a matter of "transferring ownership", the old site manage should just grant you "Manage Users" on account level in the Admin settings. He should go to "User Management".

When that's done, you can remove him from the account entirely. You don't need to change your tracking code.