AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Will Analytics capture information if there is a tracking code but no property?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi. I think the answer is no, but I want to be sure. Will Google Analytics capture information if there is tracking code on a website but there is no property established for the website?

I have a client who created a website and placed a tracking code on DATE X. The client also created a property in Google Analytics for the website on DATE Y. I'm trying to make sure DATE X and DATE Y are the same. I'm also trying to find out, if they aren't the same, whether the tracking code would somehow have allowed Analytics to capture information on the dates before DATE Y. Thanks in advance for your help!

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin P
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Data is being recorded in a GA property only when there is tracking code on a website with the property's ID. Client wouldn't be able to put the tracking code to the site with the correct property ID BEFORE he created the property. So you're right, the answer is no.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Kevin P
May 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi Kevin,

Data is being recorded in a GA property only when there is tracking code on a website with the property's ID. Client wouldn't be able to put the tracking code to the site with the correct property ID BEFORE he created the property. So you're right, the answer is no.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital