AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Why does Page Goals not equal Page Info?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi 

I've set up a goal to records lands on static URL thank page in my site, which is reached upon a booking from an external site which redirects to here. (see screenshot below). 

Screen Shot 2017-07-28 at 10.16.27.png

However 

• In Goals, not all of these lands are being recorded. How do I know this? Well I got 10 bookings in the last week from external site, and only 2 goals are being recorded. I have tested the redirect and it defiantly works
  • At the same time if I look at the stats for this page in behaviour in Behaviour >> Site Content >> Content Drill Down >> [filter for /thanks-], page views are much more realistic. 

How can the page views differ from goals if they are specifically linked to the same action i.e visit this page? 

Help!

Cheers

Participant ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Participant ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, @Jane G

There may be some discrepancies with dates. Goals apply to the data you collect after the goal has been created - so any visits to thank page that happened before you had configured the goal wouldn't be counted as conversions

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jane,

Rather use Regular expression so that it always captures a session no matter how your browser or others render the URL. If that does not work then let us know. There are a number of factors that lead to inaccurate results like page close, page speed, conflicting scripts, tracking code in the wrong location etc

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for offering a solution. Its not unfortunately this as I was aware already that it doesn't work retrospectively so waited a week after setting up before I looked at past weeks data. Smiley Sad

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan - ok I'll switch to regex and see if this changes things and report back. Thans for you advice