Analytics
2.8K members online now
2.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

What is the impact when I enable anonymizeIp?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I am from the Netherlands and we would like to enable anonymizeIp for the policies. I already enabled it. I am wondering what is the impact. Are there some functonalities not working anymore like the statistics by country, city etc?

How can I test that Google is tracking anonymous?

3 Expert replyverified_user

Re: What is the impact when I enable anonymizeIp?

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

By enabling IP Anonymization the full IP will not be collected from the users. Before the IP address is stored in GA the last octet is changed to 0. This makes the geography reports a bit less precise but it won't affect it significantly. You won't see the IP address of the users in GA with or without IP Anonymization, only GA has the full IPs without Anonymization. Basically it is a privacy setting that prevents google from storing the visitors full IP address. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hello :-)

Country, city statistics etc will still be tracked and reported however there may be some reduction to the accuracy of that data.
anonymizeIP also removes the ability to filter visitor data by IP (eg using an IP filter to remove your own visits from
being reported will no longer work)

To test if IPs are being anonymized -
If using GA debugger, in chrome js console, under Sent beacon, the url should contain the following parameter aip=1
Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
@Bronwyn V I think the reason that some of the filters to remove the own visits didn't work anymore after anonymization was that the modified IP with its 0 as last octet [1] often fell outside the previously defined IP or IP range.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2763052?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
@webfield yes :-)
a lot of ppl use IP filters to remove their own visits or that of other visitors they do not want to track.
Often they are not aware that its no longer possible when anonymizeIP is being used.

Cheers
Whims
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
The point is, however, that you just have to extend your IP range in the view filter to include the .0 IP. Filtering is being done after anonymization. In this way, both IP anonymization and user-IP filtering work fine.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor
@webfield
(I totally missed your point there - completely having a a slow brain day atm!!)
thank you :-)))

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Webfield,

I almost get what you are saying, but by adding a .0 to the IP in the filter it tells me this is not a valid IP.
So for example the IP is: 46.44.134.242, what can I do to filter it with anonymizeIP activated?

Thank you in advance!
Kind regards, Paul

[ Edited ]
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Paul,

could you please try RegEx "^46\.44\.134\.0$"? But please let me add something: What I know, with such a filter you would also filter user with IPs similar to your IP ("46.44.134.242"), like "46.44.134.123".

I'd like to suggest another possibility to filter internal traffic: Does your company have an unique "service provider" (ISP)? If yes, you are able to filter internal traffic by adding the name of your "service provider" to the filter (see http://www.dirtyanalytics.com/exclude-people-from-google-analytics-data/ for further information).

Bye. Nils.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nils,

Thanks you for your reply. I will work with the ISP sollution.

Kind regards, Paul