AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Website with Classic and Universal organic code

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi

We are working on a website that over a 1.5year period had both the classic and universal google analytics code running. Does anyone have any experience/ data/ resources that could explain the effects of this?

The website has an extremely low bounce rate - around 3%.

Are there any independant tools that can show site traffic that we can compare against?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Website with Classic and Universal organic code

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Digi,
In my experience, I typically see Bounce Rates between 40%-60%. Lower than 40% is very uncommon and higher than 70% is alarming and requires action. There are few reasons for getting low bounce rate.

If your bounce rate is out of the expected range and seems “too good to be true,” it is often the case that somewhere in your website the Google Analytics code may have been inserted twice. Duplicate analytics code is often the cause.

This is especially common in WordPress websites that end up having analytics code inserted both in your template and also in an SEO plug in. Or, it can happen when analytics code is inserted both in your header and footer of the website. There are other causes, but they are rarer.

Luckily, the solution is usually simple: call your developer and have them remove the Google analytics code (the script they provide to you in your account) from showing up twice. Or, remove it yourself if you know how to do so.

That’s usually it.

Your Bounce rate should then adjust itself over the next 24 hours back to its “real” bounce rate.

Hope this helps.
Thanks