5.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Website tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I have recently changed my homepage which contained my company website's tracking code. Shall I use the same code for my new homepage? Will I be able to still have access to the past history of my old homepage? 

Many thanks,

Blerta

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Blerta K
July 2016

Re: Website tracking

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi Blerta,

If you'd like to see the data for your new homepage in the same view as the old one then you should definitely use the same tracking code. This way you'd send the data to the same property (UA-XXXXXX-X) and corresponding views as previously so your data before and after change would be consistent.
However if you don't implement the same tracking code on the new homepage immediately after removing the old one you'd have data gap in your old view for as long as you don't implement old tracking code on your new homepage.

As for the past data - you will always have access to it whether you continue to use your old tracking code or not. Data that you gathered so far is stored on Google's servers. Just make sure to choose data range to period when your old tracking code was installed. If you choose data period after tracking code removal you'd see "No data to display" information box in GA reports.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks so much Olgierd N! Your help is highly appreciated Smiley Happy

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
Glad I could help Smiley Happy