4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Website crash

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have implemented google analytics in our application with one custom definition. Our application is a big application used by upto 1500 concurrent users. When we went live with the this over the weekend; suddenly on Monday morning application home page doesn't render and displaying blank page. While analyzing our application logs we found the error is in google analytics. Though some people were able to login and infact it worked for almost 24 hours but seems like the user count was low at that time. After we disabled the google analytics from our application it all started working fine.

When we analyzed the google analytics reporting account, we found that when the count of user reached 1100, it went down, with some theory we assume that whenever count reached 1100 or so, the application goes down and when it is low, for some people it worked. 

Dont know the root cause. Please help as this is very urgent for us.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Website crash

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Not sure why your website would crash

Do you have a copy of the tracking code that was installed?
and a link to the website?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Website crash

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for your response. Below is the tracking code that was used on our production website. Since the google analytics is turned off, we dont have it on our website.

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');ga('create', 'UNIQUEID', 'auto');ga('send', 'pageview', {'dimension1': 'Other'});
</script>
<script>
function GA_trackOutboundLink(event) { (function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');ga('create', 'UNIQUEID', 'auto');ga('send', 'event', {eventCategory: 'Link 1',eventAction: 'click',eventLabel: event,transport: 'beacon',dimension1: 'Other'});}
</script>

Thanks,

Samagra

Re: Website crash

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

You are trying to track outbound links as an event associated with a custom dimension?

YOu may want to visit the outbound link tracking code and adjust that as necessary to take the custom dimension into account

https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1136920?hl=en#GA

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Website crash

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bronwyn for your response. I understand that there might be a problem in the outbound links code. But the problem is end user didnt event clicked on the list and the blank page (possibly java-script error) was appearing by default when the home page was getting rendered. The GA_trackOutboundLink will only trigger when user clicks on the link that is being captured by our application. 

Moreover, as I know about GA, it doesn't crash the website if custom dimension is not implemented. Also for around 24 hours application worked fine and it crashed only when the load was high on the application.

Any suggestions?

Website crash

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

I've not ever known analytics tracking script snippet to crash a web page unless installed incorrectly and/or there are other code errors and/or conflicts also present in the page too.

Given that there may be errors in the outbound link tracking, I was wondering about the possibility of other code errors too.

I had also wondered whether it was possibly due to overstepping limits and quotas..

rate limiting is used to prevent too much data being sent at the one time.

Ive not heard of this affecting the website itself though.. just the tracking

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/gajs/limits-quotas