AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Website Re-Launch

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

We just launched a new site (same domain), so I'm curious if Google Analytics will just continue working as normal? Will it update to track this new site, or what do I need? I don't want to lose / override the data from the old site, as we want to track the changes/progress from it. 

I know you have to install GA on a website (via tracking code), but what about if its the same URL? Total beginner here so apologies if this is a lame question!

Thanks,

Gianna

1 Expert replyverified_user

Website Re-Launch

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Not lame at all, good question. If GA is still on the pages then it will keep tracking. Some things to consider:

1. Make sure that the GA code is not lost during the migration. I've seen plenty of design launches where the GA code gets missed off or commented out.

2. Do you have events being tracked on the site, using GA code? If so, it's possible that these will no longer work if the site is changed.

3. Do you have goals, site search or filters based on urls in your GA property and views? If so, these may no longer work correctly or at all.

John Wedderburn, Advertiser Community, Rising Star
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.