4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Web Screen Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Goal : Monitor navigation sequence on a website.
Web site Info : 5 pages and each page has 6 steps ( navigation steps )

Info : currently google analytics only shows Page views
Question : How can I reach my Goal ?

What I have done so far : I tried App / Screen Tracking. using the
ga('send','screenview',{'appName': 'MyApp', 'screenName':MyScreen});

Note : Real time is working just fine.
Note : Behavior section had no data, I waited almost 48 hours and now I have data such as Page, Page Title, Page Views, Bounce rate, .. )
Problem : I looked everywhere and I cannot find screen names. I even filter based on App name, and nothing showed up.
Note: I tried behavior tab -> Site Content -> All Pages : Secondary dimension set to Screen Name. results in the screen name column are the same as page name. what I sent was just a simple string not a full URL.
Question : which tab/section of Google Analytics solution I should be looking for Screen Tracks ?
Note : I have both Web view and App View
Question : for website screen tracking purpose, which one should I pick for the view ? Web or App

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ali K
June

Web Screen Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
for clarification..are you tracking a website..

or

an app (eg one that gets downloaded and installed).
Sounds like option one.. website.

Maybe im misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve, however I would not be using screenviews for this if what you are trying to track is within web pages, I would be tracking each page as a normal pageview and the steps on each page as a virtual pageview

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages#tracking_virtual_page...

You can send app data to a web view and vice versa..to separate it out, you would use the following filters

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/screens#using_filters_for_a...

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Ali K
June

Web Screen Tracking

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

for clarification..are you tracking a website..

or

an app (eg one that gets downloaded and installed).
Sounds like option one.. website.

Maybe im misunderstanding what you are trying to achieve, however I would not be using screenviews for this if what you are trying to track is within web pages, I would be tracking each page as a normal pageview and the steps on each page as a virtual pageview

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/pages#tracking_virtual_page...

You can send app data to a web view and vice versa..to separate it out, you would use the following filters

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/screens#using_filters_for_a...

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Web Screen Tracking

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you Bronwyn for your respond,

For clarification I'm using a website.

I tried your suggested solution and it worked so thank you very much for that. and now I have two questions :

1- The main reason I'm doing this is to keep track of the sequence my audience are following, for instance if they start from step 1 and go all the way to step 4 and take one step back to 3 and then finally lose their interest and quit at that step. now I know how to set those step names and send them via pageview, so : when I am at Google Analytics Solution (The website environment), where should I be looking for such a report or flow ? which tab ? Real-Time or Behavior ? 

2- is there any way that I can bypass the 24/36 hours processing time only for testing ?

Thank you 

Web Screen Tracking

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

1) Sounds like you might be after Goal Flow reports
http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2012/08/06/goal-flow-how-visitors-really-move-through-funnel/

2) Not that i am aware of, you can use the real time reports to view some data that occurs at the time it happens.. eg goal conversions, pageviews, events etc.
real time report data though is tracked on a rolling basis though and the data does not stay in the real time report .. non active users drop out of the reports after 5mins of inactivity and hits for active users i think only remain in the reports for up to 30mins while the user is still active.