AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.8K members online now
4.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Visitor IP not anonymized

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I was on OnPage.org to see how I can help better my website and I noticed that it said: "Visitor IP is not anonymized for Google Analytics". 

This is the code I have:

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');

ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-X', 'auto');
ga('send', 'pageview');

</script>

I have seen on other boards to change ga('set', 'anonymizeIP', true); , but I don't have that in my code. 

How can I go about fixing this?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Visitor IP not anonymized

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

Editing your tracking code snippet to include the anonymizeIP line of code will enable that functionality

<script>
(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]||function(){
(i[r].q=i[r].q||[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),
m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)
})(window,document,'script','https://www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');
ga('create', 'UA-XXXXXXXX-X', 'auto');
ga('set', 'anonymizeIp', true);
ga('send', 'pageview');
</script>

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor IP not anonymized

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I know just enough to be dangerous but not enough to be smart.  So I received this "Visitor IP is not anonymized for Google Analytics" from Ryte.com.  I assume this is important not that I fully understand why.  My question:  can I copy the code you wrote in March (above) and use it to address the issue and if yes, where do I put the code? 
Thank you, 
Mark.