Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

VS Studio 2015 Validation element 'script' is missing required attribute 'type'.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello I'm getting a warning in visual studio 2015 Validation (XHTML 1.0 Transitional): Element 'script' is missing required attribute 'type'. HTML5 Validation. The warning is on the Google analytics script tag for the code Google creates to track your site.

I can change the script tag, no issue and I googled all over for this, unable to find the correct answer. Should it be script type="text/javascript" or type="text/jscript" ?? 

I don't use java and this was my last place to find out.

Much appreciated.

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: VS Studio 2015 Validation element 'script' is missing required attribute 'type'.

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi there, quite a few things to tackle:

- JavaScript is not related to Java in any shape, way or form.
- normally, the script type should be text/javascript
- Are you setting up a web application or a standalone app?
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Re: VS Studio 2015 Validation element 'script' is missing required attribute 'type'.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
It's a web app. HTMlL5 requires a type. And the analytic code it just written as <script> instead of <script type="text/javascript"> You would think they would put a note on their page. I googled the difference earlier but thanks for the confirmation.

So I'm guessing it's javascript?
Thanks

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author TrackLinq BAS T
August 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
It is Javascript and contrary to popular belief, the type attribute can be omitted.
If you do not want to rake any risks, enforce attribute type="text/javascript"
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
I changed it to type="text/javascript" I just don't like seeing warnings in my code. and <script> is not HTML5 compliant.
Thanks and you get a star..