Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Using cross domain tracking on a shared payment confirmation page

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

Got a bit of a weird set up and just wondering if my proposed solution would work.

Have a client that has an ecommerce site. They've acquired another company and wanted to keep the new companies ecommerce site separate.

However they are using the same payment processing solution for both site.

So a user makes a purchase on Site B, it goes to payment processor, (worldpay) when the payment is successful the user is redirected to the thankyou page on Site A (worldpays system, not ours)

I am proposing that setting up cross domain tracking over site B and the site A successful payment/thankyou page. Would this work?

Thanks

Liam

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using cross domain tracking on a shared payment confirmation page

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
Yes, it would work.
Just have cross domain tracking for all 3 domains
And also add all 3 as excluded referrals - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/2795830?hl=en

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Liam,

the situation is a bit tricky. You mention that the sites are separate just as URLs or is event the data collected into separate GA properties? In addition can you track on payment processor (I believe not)?

So the issue is User comes to siteB (generates the clientId) > Goes to Payment - if no GA present then you have an issue as you cannot persist the client Id when going payment > siteA.

In short a result would be that you would have session data from siteB but the site A goals and transactions would be attributed to (direct) as you would probably place payment to referral exclusion as by default there would be no way to stitch session on siteB and siteA.

There are some hacks you could use to provide the client Id to siteA by using iFrame and postMessage or even some backend serving but that really depends on the real situation.

So check:
1) is everything tracked in one single GA property
2) can you tag the payment part
3) the ideal way to preserve the client Id in the x domain process considering the aforementioned pitfalls

Hope it helps.

Kind regards,
Zorin

Web analyst @ escapestudio.net

Google Employee
# 4
Google Employee
Hey Liam,

Cross domain tracking between B & A should solve the problem here. If Site is a a third domain and you can't add your tracking code to worldpay, remember to add it as a referral exclusion.

However, tracking might be messed up on the Analytics side - how would you track what a conversion is for Site A Vs. what a conversion is for Site B, if both have the same thank you page?

Best,
Arjun

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
At present site A tracking in ecom report still works fine, and doesn't include site B transactions so I'm assuming as long as the site B GA property is set up properly for cross domain tracking it should work as it'll continue to track that right session.