6.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Using View Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, am trying to create a new View for one of our GA property but not able to do it right.

The background is, we want to give a agency access to our GA account but they should only see details of traffic coming from them.

For this I thought of creating a new view.

For all traffic from them, the landing page url has a specific utm_source and utm_medium.

How do I set this filter correctly, please help.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pankaj J
December 2016

Using View Filters

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

It's a pretty easy thing to do if you know all of the utm_ parameters which they're passing through.  The only issue with this approach is that you have to be pretty diligent with any new campaigns which the agency launch, and then add those filters into your view, which I guess could be pretty time-consuming.  

Another way (and the way I'd do it) is to ask your agency to append a parameter to the target URL of all of the campaigns which they're managing on your behalf (for example ?agency=agency_name) and then create a custom filter which Includes a Request URI of the parameter and value.  The issue with this is that you'll struggle to see any subsequent sessions from users re-visiting who haven't touched one of the campaigns (for example coming directly back to the site or through natural search).

Does that help?

View solution in original post

Using View Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Robert, thanks for your suggestion.

The problem is, the promotion happens across the web and the IP address will be different for all visitors.

The common element will be the utm_source and utm_medium values in the url.

Re: Using View Filters

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

you could definitely do that. You need a custmom filter that would include only traffic with specified campaign source and medium.

Be aware that view will only include data from the moment it was created.

Here you can find more about custom filter fields: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034380?hl=en

filters-analytics.google.com-2016-12-22-13-08-25.png

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Pankaj J
December 2016

Using View Filters

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Pankaj,

It's a pretty easy thing to do if you know all of the utm_ parameters which they're passing through.  The only issue with this approach is that you have to be pretty diligent with any new campaigns which the agency launch, and then add those filters into your view, which I guess could be pretty time-consuming.  

Another way (and the way I'd do it) is to ask your agency to append a parameter to the target URL of all of the campaigns which they're managing on your behalf (for example ?agency=agency_name) and then create a custom filter which Includes a Request URI of the parameter and value.  The issue with this is that you'll struggle to see any subsequent sessions from users re-visiting who haven't touched one of the campaigns (for example coming directly back to the site or through natural search).

Does that help?

Using View Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Many thanks... it works..

Using View Filters

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Your boosted post "#" ended. It reached 272 people and got 22 post engagements.