AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Using Pardot form tracking generates a Pardot referral

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Using Pardot form tracking code, once a person submits the form, leaves the page, lands on a pardot url for a second and comes back to the original domain. This process creates a pardot referral that does not allow to see the real referral (organic, paid, email, etc.).

Is there a way to let Google Analytics keep the original source of traffic (organic, etc.)? Cross domain settings?

Thanks,

Fedeor

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fred E
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes, look up the Referral Exclusion List in the Property Admin -- entering the Pardot domain there would tell GA to join the return visit with the original (excluding the referral).

Mike Sullivan, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Fred E
February 2017

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Yes, look up the Referral Exclusion List in the Property Admin -- entering the Pardot domain there would tell GA to join the return visit with the original (excluding the referral).

Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the answer.

I have set the referral exclusion and checked if GA is also recording hits from Pardot as referral.

If I submit the form in a "incognito" page, GA doesn't record Pardot, if I do on a page with the GA cookie, it records the referral.

Is there any way to avoid this?

Thanks for your help.

Federico

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

A word about new entries in the Referral Exclusion List...  it changes the visit into a direct visit.

If the user has previously filled out a form, and their last visit from Pardot, then the REL changes a future Pardot referral into a direct visit....which GA then turns into the last non-direct source: the previous Pardot visit. That will eventually fade away as users come from different non-direct sources, but during the transition period, expect to see weird patterns.

As for using incognito pages, nope - it is turned into a direct visit from a new user unless you do some javascript magic to maintain sessions through URL parameters. [not my field]

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Mike,

That's clear and useful.

F.