AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.5K members online now
2.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Using Google Tag Manager with current Event Tracking

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi

We currently have and use a great deal of event tracking across our website. Moving forward if I were to set up Google Tag Manager for our website, would this in any way impact our current event tracking in Google Analytics? I wouldn't want our current/past tracking and goals to be lost by using Google Tag Manager. 

Thank you

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Google Tag Manager with current Event Tracking

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hey Pegal, how are things?

Adding GTM code to your website should not interfere with your current GA set up. BUT, consider this: Google Tag Manager comes to allow you to create triggers, events, tag installation and anything else without the need to change the page code directly. This is a huge game changer, and some improvements and updates must be done on your end.

You can split things into steps to make it easier. My recommendations:

Step 1 - Install Google Tag Manager
Just install Google Tag Manager code into your website following the installation guide. This will not interfere with anything you already have.

Step 2 - Fire Google Analytics UA from inside GTM
- Fire Analytics code from inside Tag Manager for all of your pages
- Remove your Analytics code that is installed directly to your HTML

Do not keep both things running (code on page + analytics from GTM). This will make your UA to fire twice and can create duplicated data

Step 3 - Migrate Events to Tag Manager
The idea here is to move every event that is installed directly to your HTML, into GTM. This can be done one-by-one to minimize risks of losing data. Just remove the desired event from your code, fire it from GTM and test. If it's ok, move to the next one.

It's definitely a great deal to keep everything inside GTM, since you don't need to mess with your code, and GTM is accessible from anywhere and any computer.

Hope this helps.

Leandro Martinez | Basta1Click

Re: Using Google Tag Manager with current Event Tracking

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Pegal,

Just to give another perspective to @leandrofm's great reply, one strategy that I just used for a client, who also had on-page GA code triggering events and such and wanted to migrate everything over to GTM, was to have the tags run concurrently as the existing GA tracking so that you can get a good comparison of data in the end. Here are the steps I took from start to finish (albeit abbreviated):

1. place the GTM container code on the site (note that this will not interfere with existing GA tracking code)
2. create a staging property in GA that will be the collector of the GTM tag data (this is key so that you don't send data to your live property)
3. replicate all your events, goals, custom dimensions through GTM (this is crucial and you may need to take an inventory of all your top events, goals, and other custom settings before proceeding with your tagging)
4. QA your tags and iron out the bugs
5. publish tags once you are confident they are working (again, ensure you are only sending data to the staging property created in step 2 above)
6. collect data for at least a week
7. compare data between existing tracking and GTM implementation
8. when you have almost parity in the data (note that you will not get exact numbers), then transition the on-page code to GTM (this is another topic of discussion really).

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn