Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Using Google Tag Manager together with Blogger

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

I am currently using Google Analytics for one of my blogs and would like to switch to the Google Tag Manager. In the settings in my blog, I can only enter a Google Analytics ID. Is there any way of adding the Tag Manager code like for normal websites?

I already asked at the Blogger Help Forum and they suggested that I should ask here as there is no direct integration between Blogger and Google Tag Manager. Is there any way to directly configure the Analytics setup to use the Tag Manager?

Best,

Jessica

2 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jessica F
November 2015

Re: Using Google Tag Manager together with Blogger

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jessica,

I'm no Blogger user but generally, if there are so special modules for that, you have to implement the GTM code into the beginning of your HTML BODY section - so directly after <body>. Just look in your source code which Blogger template has control of that page section. There might be a way then to just include the GTM code in that template.

Hope that helps.

Christoph

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi Jessica,

I'm not a Blogger user either, I did not try to implement Google Tag Manager to Blogger yet but I have a tip for you.

You need to add the GTM code to your template like Christoph mentioned above but you need to modify it first. You need to change the "&" character in the code to "&amp;" in order to avoid template errors.

dataLayer'?'&l= will become dataLayer'?'&amp;l=

Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

@Arnold M

Good to know - have you seen that '&' issue with various CMS/Blog templates?

Christoph

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
I've seen this issue when trying to insert a tagged URL into a Blogger template, it will report an XML parse error when there is an unescaped ampersand.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Okay, thanks, Arnold.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much! I Adding it directly into the source code of the template worked great.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Jessica, I was able to install GTM in Blogger, but haven't been able to make it work when trying "events" for click measurements...were you able to make it perform all the tricks..? Thanks.
Juan.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good news!!!...I got it..!!! I added the couple of lines of data layer code before the tag manager script..and changed http to https in the blog settings...I don't know which one did the trick but I can see clicks now in debug mode.

The bad news are: in debug mode return type is (string) and value is (' ')...so I don't know how to filter the trigger to measure just that button.
Any ideas..?

Using Google Tag Manager together with Blogger

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you very much. instruction useful to me