Analytics
4.6K members online now
4.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Using Google Tag Manager in China

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello guys,

I need to set up the tracking for a multi-languages website, and I was planning on using Google Tag Manager since it will allow me to add adserver tags along with Google Analytics and events.

My question is, since my website is also available in China, is Google Tag Manager a good option on the long term, or is it at risk of being blocked?

If anyone has experience with using GTM in China (or any other solution), I would love to have some feeback!

Thanks a lot!

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Using Google Tag Manager in China

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Hi Amélie,

I can tell you anecdotally, from talking to other GACP's, that typically data collection via Google Analytics is quite reliable due to the high penetration in China and the fact that the script is frequently cached. Accessing data in the UI from within China can be challenging and slow.

GTM wont be cached so can slow down the site quite a bit. Again, this is not first hand, so I would recommend that you test and see how things work out. This also, is true of other solutions from other vendors that must be accessed via the firewall.

Hybrid deployment of GA is possible but you'll have to use a named tracker (same name in straight GA implementation and in GTM) or you may want to consider a stand alone site for the Chinese market. There are way too many variables for me to make any recommendation on whether or not that is a good idea.

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Using Google Tag Manager in China

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hello Amelie, 

there are some issues with GTM in China so you may need to resort to another tag management system such as 7Tag (now part of Piwik Pro)

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan