Analytics
1.8K members online now
1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Using Custom Dimensions to track user STATUS (free/paid or lead/in progress/converted etc)

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 1
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi, 

Having an interesting issue here trying to use a custom dimension to track CURRENT status of a user, ideally for remarketing purposes (I am aware there are various other limitations regarding that, but first things first).

This problem applies to any sort of user/client/lead "level" or "status" tracking with custom dimensions, although we're technically using it for lead status.

The basic premise is that we acquire a new lead and "work" that lead both digitally and via a call center. We  do use the measurement protocol for offline/call center updates, but the same issue applies to digital efforts. 

Assume that our lead funnel contains the following statuses with no possible way to deviate (that also is not true, but for simplicity sake)

1 New - new lead, no contact

2 email opened - the lead opened an email

3 called and reached - because they reached lead status 2, we called them

4 called and not reached

5 closed - made the sale

0 Lost - could not reach. 

What we're doing is capturing the clientID and sending the lead status to a user scoped custom dimension called "lead status." Currently doing it as an event with noninteraction=true

Looking in the user explorer to confirm, we do see the lead status set appropriately, but because we can't create a custom report with clientID as a drilldown it gets very difficult to debug some weirdness. Mainly, if I set a segment to "users that only include lead status= 3" and look at a custom report of all lead statuses, I'll still see a few 2 and 1s listed. I THINK this may be because of a date range, meaning that it's selecting a user that does currently have a lead status of 3, but showing that 2 days ago it was a 1.

Basically, things are strange. I want to be able to do 2 things:

1. remarket to users that opened an email but we are unable to reach.

2. I also ideally want to be able to see the current status of how many users are at each stage AT THIS MOMENT.

I think this is useful in a wide variety of other use cases. What's the solution to capturing and properly using lead status appropriately?

Using Custom Dimensions to track user STATUS (free/paid or lead/in progress/converted etc)

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

hello, 

when you say "Mainly, if I set a segment to "users that only include lead status= 3" and look at a custom report of all lead statuses, I'll still see a few 2 and 1s listed", what metrics did you choose to show in the custom report?

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 3
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Hi Anca, 

I didn't get a notification you responded to my post, but that's a good question. What would you recommend as a metric to see everyone with "current status" etc? Set a custom metric to 1?