Analytics
4.9K members online now
4.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

User tracking via partial internal ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys, maybe my question had been already successfully answered, then please point me to the link.

I have the following situation here. We have a complicated e-commerce funnel consisting of multiple steps and parties. Our page is sitting in the middle of it. With our current implementation we can generally track wether aggregated users successfully get through this part of funnel.

However, sometimes there are situation coming when some particular user gets stack in the process and nobody knows where exactly. We need to be able to filter out and to prove that it's not in our part of funnel.

Thus we'd like to have a possibility to pass within the keyword GTM parameter the last 4 digits of our internal user-id stored in the backend system(the length of ID is 12 digits in total). As far as I understand, this is not directly covered by PII definition and even if 3rd party would have a chance to obtain these 4 digits this won't break any Google Policies (especially paragraph 7 of GA ToS).

From the other hand, of course, there is no clear definition of PII given by Google Analytics team. In this situation nobody wants to get a silent block, so we'd like to get some confirmation wether this setup is okay with Google rules and policies.

Looking for your help and feedback.

Many thanks in advance.

Best Regards,

Dima

1 Expert replyverified_user

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Dima,

You can use your own internal id's in fact it's required that you create one and set one for user id.  It just can't be personally identifiable like a credit card number or name or email address or ip address.  If you want you can hash it for extra peace of mind.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Theo,

thank you for quick reply.

Just to clarify - we currently don't use Google's concept of User-ID.

Thus, my questions re-formulated again:

are the last 4 digits of our internal user ID (NOT Goole user-ID) treated by Google as PII and thus break paragraph 7 of GA ToS?

We want to pass this parameter via utm_term=1234 as following:

https://www.mydomain.com/landingpage?utm_source=my_source&utm_medium=my_affiliate&utm_campaign=my_campaign&utm_content=ie_meail&utm_term=1234

Is this okay and not breaking GA ToS?

Many thanks in advance.

P.S.: I know this is a workaround, but currently we can't quickly implement the User-ID-based solution.

Best Regards,

Dima

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star

Hi Dima,

Same answer.  You can pass your own id's in whole or in part.  If you want to be extra careful, you can hash it. I only brought up user id as an exmaple.  Smiley Happy

It would also be a good idea to update your privacy policy to include how you might use this and the connection to analytics data to further enhance ueser experience.... yada yada yada.   Smiley Happy

Best,

Theo

P.S. this was a big no no in the past and in good terms, it was described as a grey practice... that said, it serves the same connection as a transaction id might in an ecommerce setting.  The change happened a few years ago with Universal Analytics.

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn