Analytics
3.7K members online now
3.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

User id is not showing up in Google analytics

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'have set up for user id code using Google tag manager as mentioned in below article but user id data not showing up.

https://www.optimizesmart.com/cross-device-tracking-with-user-id-in-google-tag-manager/

I don't know how to debug if there is any error. please let me know how can I debug? or if any other set up guide is available please let me know.

Thanks

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Re: User id is not showing up in Google analytics

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Santosh,

It’s a pleasure to hear from you. Are you sure that you've pushed user ID's to your datalayer? Smiley Happy

If you open your Preview & Debug mode in GTM, you should see something like that:

datalayer.png

And if you take a look at your variables, you should see your user id as well:

variables.png

If it's there, you probably have something wrong with your tag(s). Let us know how it goes and

then we can dig deeper.

One way to debug user id tracking is to send the User ID also as the Event Label in your Event Tag, and then see if the event hit for the missing User IDs is also absent.

Cheers,

Taavi

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Taavi,

Thanks for reply. I've attached what I'm seeing in preview mode. Please check once.

Thanksdata_layer.png

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Santosh,

Your data layer may look like the following once a user logs in:

dataLayer.push({
  'userId' : '123',
});

Note: There should be a server side variable behind 123.

Test it out and let us know how it works. Make sure that you've configured your tag(s) properly as well.

Here's one more guide.

Cheers,

Taavi

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes after a user logs in data layer showing like  dataLayer.push({ "userID": "5" });. Now I'm attaching tag configuration screenshot. One more thing I would like to let you know that in referenced article during 'Field to set' there is an option showing 'pull user id from data layer' but in my case that option was not showing in dropdown. Google Tag Manager.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Great!

If this {{Data Layer Variable}} looks like this, everything should be fine:

dl variable.png

Now, just make sure you've configured your Custom Dimension properly:

user id.png

If you've done that, wait for 1-2 days and check your reports. If it still doesn't work, let us know.

Cheers,

Taavi

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Yes data layer variable looks exactly the same. I'm also attaching custom dimension screenshots. I really appreciate your help, will let you know after 2 days.

thanks very muchcustom_dimension.png

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@Taavi Kalvi Still no data is showing in User id views. Smiley Sad

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 10
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Santosh,

Have you switched on User-ID tracking in GA? Smiley Happy

Admin -> Tracking Info -> User-ID

If you create a custom report and use "User ID" as a custom dimension, do you see anything?

If not, there's probably something wrong with the data layer or something is not configured properly in GTM.

Log into your GTM account, open preview and debug mode. After that, go to your website, log into your site (so that user-id should be visible) and take a screenshot of a specific Page View variables. Post it here and we'll both (me and @Arnold M) try to figure out what might be wrong.

Cheers,

Taavi