AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

User Location in analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have the problem that due to Swisscom server locations in Zurich, I see in my analytics report that my users mainly come from Zurich though its not the case. Its only that their IP is located in Zurich.

Can someone tell me how I can avoid this or better said what I can do that the real location of the user gets identified?

Thanks for your help,

Jen

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: User Location in analytics

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jennifer,

That cannot be avoided unfortunately. Your best alternative is to capture the user's location at the browser level (which may be finer than the IP lookup) and use an API (try Geonames) to capture the town/canton in a custom dimension.
This requires that the visitor allows their browser to use geolocation so you'd be working with voluntary data collection (small dataset).
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Re: User Location in analytics

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank you very much Julien for your answer.