Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

User-Id Implementation & Effect on Reports

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi All! The higher-ups at my company have indicated that, for user-id as a custom dimension, they only want to pass a value for users that are logged in. So, nothing will be passed for users that are not logged in.

My question is - could this affect the data of users who are not logged in, and if so, how? Perhaps with new vs. returning, or users with multiple sessions (we don't have to worry about cross-device at this time)

Thanks!

1 Expert replyverified_user

User-Id Implementation & Effect on Reports

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hi Sarah,

UserId is a feature specifically to connect sessions cross device and does require users to authenticate (or some variation) at some point on each device.

It sounds like you just want to pass something in as a custom dimension.   If you want to (in tandem with UserId or on it's own) pass an anynomous id you can; however, I recommend that you do it as a user level custom dimension (unless your legal team says otherwise) and then you can also have a custom dimension on the session level that you use to identify whether or not the user logged in in that session.  The default value could be false (or similar) and true (or similar when a log-in occurs.  This would allow you to do a fairly accurate idea on how often folks log in.

Setting custom dimensions had no impact on your data collection or new and returning visitors; same is true for UserId; which by the way should be set when users are logged in and then cleared when logged out - so if that is what you meant then you are on the right track.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn