1.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

User ID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

I have a website that does not have a log-in system. I'm wondering if it's possible to implement UserID tracking without having a log-in system?

I thought about trying to pull the ClientID from the tracking object but I'm not sure if that makes sense. 

Any help on this topic would be greatly appreciated 

Best regards

Steinar

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: User ID

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Steinar,

It isn't advisable to use the client ID as the user ID. You can read more about that in this reference: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/6205850?hl=en#clientid-userid.

The thing about the User ID feature itself is that it allows your logged-in/registered users to be tracked across platforms (whether they are coming in through mobile, desktop, or a combination of both). Without the ability to identify who your registered users are, and if you assign random IDs to all your users, then you how would you be able to identify one user in one session, and the same user in a different session, and even on a different device?

In short, I don't think it's possible to implement the User ID feature if you don't have a log-in system.

Hope this helps.
Nicky Yuen, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here.
Find me on: Google+ | LinkedIn

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor
Hi Steinar,

The ClientID is used to identify the users across the browsing sessions but it cannot identify unique users across different browsers or devices.
For the UserID feature you need to have an authentication system in order to associate the users with the UserID. This way it doesn't matter from what browser or device they log in to your site, GA can identify them.
Please check the document here: https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/cookies-user-id?hl=en
Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Nicky,

Thank you for your response. It makes totally sense what you'e saying. I guess I'll skip the User ID for now Smiley Happy

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks for the help Arnold, I'll read more about the topic in the links that you posted. Smiley Happy