Analytics
1.7K members online now
1.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

User ID without User Login

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Is it possible to implement User ID for cross-device tracking without requiring users to sign in? We do not have sign in functionality.

If it is possible, how would this work and do you have resources to point to that would allow us to implement it? I am having a hard time figuring out if it is even possible to track a single user on multiple devices without requiring a login.

Thank you!

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: User ID without User Login

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Unless there is some attribute which can uniquely identify the user (login / without login) user id feature won't be of any use.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Besides using a login, what other types of attributes are used? Do you or does anyone else have experience with this?

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 4
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
Craig -- That is basically it...think of how GA would 'know' that the user of an iPhone is the same person that used a work computer. There has to be an identifying action on the site to connect that same user to both devices.
-Ben

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Maybe if they're signed into the same Gmail account across devices or use the same IP?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

What about the clientID in the first party cookie? This is created for all users, it could then be passed to the userID field.. no?

Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

@um-se U client id varies for each client so you get nowhere by using that value.  @Craig G there are some ways to do it If you ever get them to do form fills and then  market to these folks via email etc.  That's not something to take likely as:

1.  GA has pretty specific guidelines on when and how you can use user id and your privacy policy needs to be in compliance and you'd probably have to ask the users permission on return.

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/protocol/policy

2.  Does this really give you any value?  Without a log in, it would take time to build any audience at all.

I think the right approach is to give users a real reason to log in and you can overcome this challenge.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn