AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.3K members online now
4.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Unwanted cookie in GA url sent

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Team

Maybe an unusual question. My url sent to Google analytics contains an unwanted cookie that is the reference to an an article I have on my site.

It is part of the _utmcc.

Wondering how I can get rid of the cookie reference in my url for Google Analytics? It comes up with every page sent to GA.

Any ideas?

Thanks

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Unwanted cookie in GA url sent

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

You are using the old ga.js tracking code which has the _utmcc parameter. It is recommended to upgrade to Universal Analytics. You can find the Universal Analytics tracking code under Property -> Tracking Info -> Tracking code. There is no _utmcc parameter in Universal Analytics. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold

Thanks for your reply. I am using the Universal Analytics Tracking code (which doesn't have any reference to _utmcc). But in Google Tag Assistant report of my recording it is giving me a url which has a _utmcc parameter with an unwwanted cookie.

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
Hi David,

Can you please post your site URL so I can take a look at your setup? Thanks.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold, my URL is https://theworldlovesmelbourne.com/.

Thanks

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor
Hi David,

Everything seems to be fine with your setup, I checked with Google Tag Assistant and I cannot see any references to the _utmcc cookie. It must be a cookie in your browser dropped by the old ga.js tracking code.
Can you delete the cookies for your site and re-check with Tag Assistant to see if it still appears? If so, can you create a screenshot? Please let me know. Thanks.