AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Universal Analytics tracking code combined to tag manager container

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am wondering if anybody could help on the following query.

I would need some confirmation that the following analytics tracking set up is feasible.

My site has Google analytics tracking with the Universal analytics code installed on all the pages. I would like to start using Google tag manager. In order to make sure I don’t lose any data migrating between universal analytics and tag manager, I would like to proceed as follows:

• Keep the universal analytics property UA-XXXXXXXX-01 on all the pages
  • Whilst adding the tag manager container and populating it with a new property UA-XXXXXXXX-02

The goal is to have a smooth transition between both tracking solutions and make sure there is no gap or discrepancy in data collection. I would test the tracking with tag manager using the new property.

Can this set up work?

Universal Analytics tracking code combined to tag manager container

Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Elisa,

Your assumption is correct. Please also check below thread.

http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2015/07/16/safely-migrating-to-google-tag-manager/

Hope this helps.

Thanks

Re: Universal Analytics tracking code combined to tag manager container

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Great, thanks a lot.