Analytics
2.9K members online now
2.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Unique Google Analytics property on sub-directories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am currently managing a multi-regional site utilising subdirectories to differenciate between regions. Additionally, each regional site has it's own GA property.

Example:

website.com/australia - has the GA property UA-111111-1

website.com/china - has the GA property UA-111111-2

website.com/india - has the GA property UA-111111-3

My question is:

If a user lands on website.com/australia and goes on to website.com/china

• Does the GA property for Australia consider that session has a bounce?
  • Does the GA property for China consider that session medium as direct?

Thanks,

Jac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jac T
October 2016

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
  • Does the GA property for Australia consider that session has a bounce? Yes
  • Does the GA property for China consider that session medium as direct? No. I think it will be referral from website.com/australia

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jac T
October 2016

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
  • Does the GA property for Australia consider that session has a bounce? Yes
  • Does the GA property for China consider that session medium as direct? No. I think it will be referral from website.com/australia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jac, I'll answer this in two parts.

Moving from /australia to /china - is it a bounce?

Depends on the action the user performs before they move. Below is Google's definition of a bounce in Analytics:

'A bounce is a single-page session on your site. In Analytics, a bounce is calculated specifically as a session that triggers only a single request to the Analytics server, such as when a user opens a single page on your site and then exits without triggering any other requests to the Analytics server during that session.'

So, if the user navigates to a second page (or triggers an analytics event on the same page) then it won't be considered a bounce. This is likely true if the user clicks a link on /australia to navigate to /china. It will be a bounce if the user exits /australia immediately and then types /china into the toolbar.

Will GA property for China view /australia to /china as a direct source?

No, this will be seen as a referral. Visitors are only seen as direct if the URL is typed directly into the NAV bar or referral data is lost when moving from secure (https) to non-secure (http).

Incidently - when looking in your Google properties, do you only see the relative URLs for /china and /australia. Or the full URL?