AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Unique Google Analytics property on sub-directories

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I am currently managing a multi-regional site utilising subdirectories to differenciate between regions. Additionally, each regional site has it's own GA property.

Example:

website.com/australia - has the GA property UA-111111-1

website.com/china - has the GA property UA-111111-2

website.com/india - has the GA property UA-111111-3

My question is:

If a user lands on website.com/australia and goes on to website.com/china

• Does the GA property for Australia consider that session has a bounce?
  • Does the GA property for China consider that session medium as direct?

Thanks,

Jac

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jac T
October 2016

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
  • Does the GA property for Australia consider that session has a bounce? Yes
  • Does the GA property for China consider that session medium as direct? No. I think it will be referral from website.com/australia

View solution in original post

Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jac T
October 2016

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
  • Does the GA property for Australia consider that session has a bounce? Yes
  • Does the GA property for China consider that session medium as direct? No. I think it will be referral from website.com/australia

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Jac, I'll answer this in two parts.

Moving from /australia to /china - is it a bounce?

Depends on the action the user performs before they move. Below is Google's definition of a bounce in Analytics:

'A bounce is a single-page session on your site. In Analytics, a bounce is calculated specifically as a session that triggers only a single request to the Analytics server, such as when a user opens a single page on your site and then exits without triggering any other requests to the Analytics server during that session.'

So, if the user navigates to a second page (or triggers an analytics event on the same page) then it won't be considered a bounce. This is likely true if the user clicks a link on /australia to navigate to /china. It will be a bounce if the user exits /australia immediately and then types /china into the toolbar.

Will GA property for China view /australia to /china as a direct source?

No, this will be seen as a referral. Visitors are only seen as direct if the URL is typed directly into the NAV bar or referral data is lost when moving from secure (https) to non-secure (http).

Incidently - when looking in your Google properties, do you only see the relative URLs for /china and /australia. Or the full URL?