Analytics
3K members online now
3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Unable to Get Google Analytics to work

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've been having this issue for over 20 hours.

I am not new to installing analytics code however this time I'm not even sure what is happening.

I've activated Google tag manager to diagnose whatever is going on and the error I'm getting is "No HTTP response detected". I've reinstalled and installed. I also reported to my host but they're not sure.

Help please.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Could you please share the URL of your website?

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Hi,

Can you post your site URL so we can look into it for you?

Thanks.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

No HTTP response detected usually (but not always) occurs when

1) the canonical domain is either not entered correctly into the Property and View settings pages
eg the canonical domain is www.domain.com but website url in the property and view settings is entered without the www (or vice versa for instances where the site is non-www)

and/or

2) canonical domain is also not setup correctly via a 301 redirect so that the site can be reached via both www and non-www...instead of it all being available by a single website url

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The URL is at https://7stuff.com

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

The URL is at https://7stuff.com

I have contacted analytics support and they're going to call me tommorow morning to help me look into it.

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

You have two instances of the tracking code installed, one in the head tag and the other one in the footer. Most likely the one in the head tag is added using a plugin or WP theme settings but it is missing the UA-ID and this breaks the tracking script. The fix is simple, remove the tracking code from the footer and add the UA-ID to the code in the head tag. Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Good one Arnold.

I just got the idea of viewing the site source code and I found the analytics codes like you said.. One without UA tracking number around the header and the other I placed in the site footer.

The problem is I have looked thoroughly for this first code without tracking code both inside and outside plugins, I cant seem to find it.

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Hi,

It is inserted either by the theme, using a plugin, through a template file or the functions.php file.

Follower ✭ ✭ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ✭ ☆

Hi @Abel B,

You can try to look inside your theme's 'header.php' file.

You can follow this guide to edit your theme's 'header.php' file. 

http://www.dummies.com/web-design-development/wordpress/templates-themes-plugins/how-to-view-the-tem...

Hope this helps,

Regards,

Vaibhav