Analytics
5.1K members online now
5.1K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Umbraco CMS: Adding Google Tag Manager

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

Anyone familiar with Umbraco CMS?

Anyone knows how to install the Google Tag Manager via the CMS?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Emmanuel D,

Basically, you need to add the Google Tag Manager code to the header of your pages. The steps would vary depending on your version, setup, extensions, etc... and your level of coding skill. Umbraco should be able to do this for you or provide the best instructions after looking at your account. This is their support page.

You could also post a new message in their community forums and hopefully someone would be able to assist. Post up what version you are running, along with as much detail as you can so it will expedite your new thread there. 

Hope this helps some.  

Kind Regards,

James

Participant ✭ ✭ ☆
# 3
Participant ✭ ✭ ☆

Go to Settings > Templates and insert Google Tag Manager container snippet right after opening <body> tag.

Re: Umbraco CMS: Adding Google Tag Manager

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

GTM is an asynchronously loading library. This means that it’s loading as the page renders, and it’s non-blocking. It means that the earlier we start loading the library, the more chance our tags will have to fire and complete before the user leaves the page or closes the browser.

That's why I always recommend adding GTM code to the header section as @James_Clemens also mentioned. The only thing we need consider is to remove the <iframe> element from the GTM container snippet, since that’s just not valid HTML. 

Actually, you're right @Tomasz_C Smiley Happy - even Google recommends adding GTM container snippet right after opening <body> tag but I am sure that it will change soon. Technically, it would help to increase in data collection accuracy and quality.

Hope this helps.

Taavi