Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UTM parameters tracking problem when refer from Facebook (both web & app)

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello, 

I am having a problem from tracking traffic of UTM parameters that are refer from Facebook (both web & mobile app). I am not sure whether this is Facebook side problem, or coding problem. Can anyone help on this? Thanks

And here is the case I have been testing:

1) Directly place an URL with UTM in web broswer, and flip 10 pages 

(e.g. http://www.example.com/?utm_source=test&utm_medium=test_browser&utm_campaign=test_20170116)

Result: Successful to show 1 session / 1 user / 10 page views in my custom report

2) Use the same link, and post in Facebook. And click link post in Facebook website, and flip 10 pages

Result: Failed. Only 1 session / 1 user / 1 page view show in the same custom report

3) Use the same link, and post in Facebook. And click link post in Facebook app (iPhone), and flip 10 pages

Result: Only count as 1 session / 1 user / 1 page view show in the same custom report

Not sure whether this is Facebook side problem or coding implementation problem. Could anyone help on this? Thanks

Here is a link of my site: https://www.elle.com.hk/beauty_and_health/diet_fitness/8-leg-slimming-tips-in-winter

Thanks

Justin

1 Expert replyverified_user

UTM parameters tracking problem when refer from Facebook (both web & app)

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Are you closing the browser window?  It sounds like the browser window is staying open to your landing page after each click - when you go back to Facebook and click the link, it simply takes you back to the already-open website page.  Its not reloading the page itself.