Analytics
2.2K members online now
2.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UTM parameters are dropping off and being tracked as referrals

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I've recently added UTM parameters to my advertiser campaigns with an ad server as macros. The campaign I'm looking at is the only one driving to a specific page, so I'm able to isolate data and see that data isn't populating correctly. Some of the sessions are coming in under the advertisers paid campaign and the UTM parameters we set up, but some are coming in as referral traffic, leading me to believe the UTMs are falling off for some reason. The web page isn't redirecting, so I'm wondering what else could be causing this.

UTM parameters are dropping off and being tracked as referrals

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 2
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Macros are no longer used (as a term) so I'm guessing you mean variables.

Regardless, you can't use macros/variables on platforms that you don't have GTM on.

Campaign tracking (UTM parameters) are used to pass attribution data from 3rd party hosted links (links in email, links on social media, etc) to your GA software when the visitor lands on a page that you do have tracking code one.

The fact that I don't really understand what you're asking makes me think you're not setting it up correctly and I suspect you're trying to use GTM on sites/services that you don't have any possibility of installing GTM on.

Hope that helps!