AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UTM or Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

If my question seems simplistic, advance apologies.  I am sales guy trying to help a client and do not have GA experience.  We are seeking to attribute digital banner ads back to the vendor/partner source.  UTM codes seem simple to implement, and I'm envisioning the need to only create 4 website URL's (e.g. homepage/vendor 1, with campaign, source and medium data embedded) in order to attribute back to each one. 

Question:  is that all that needs to be done to use UTM codes or is there back end code that must also be placed on the website and are UTM's the best tool or would Tag Manager be a better way to accomplish our goal. Thanks!

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim S
June 2016

Re: UTM or Tag Manager

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jim,

@Theo Bennett has done an excellent job explaining in a bit more detail and I don't want to add to any confusion if possible. 

By tagging banners, I mean the URLs attached to them - the destination URLs (where users are sent when they click the banner) and you should absolutely do that - that's how UTM tags and attribution work.  We're talking about the same thing. Smiley Happy  

-Tommy

Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Jim,

Manual tagging to attribute digital banners is pretty common. Nothing wrong with taking that approach.

Tag manager is more of a tool to implement tracking (among other functionality) on your website. I'm not aware of how you would be able to make use of GTM to tag banners.

As far as back end, if you have Google Analytics installed on the site and the banners tagged properly, all of your data for these campaigns should be gathered in your GA account.

Hope this helps!

-Tommy
Tommy Sands, AdWords Top Contributor | Community Profile | Twitter | Philly Marketing Labs
Did you find any helpful responses or answers to your query? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks Tommy, so to clarify, we can't provide a custom URL with a UTM code to each of the 4 digital partners to use as the click thru destination link for the banner ad obtain click thru attribution that way?

It sounds like you are indicating that we will need to tag the banners?

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Jim,

I don't entirely understand what you are trying to do but here goes:

UTM tagging for banners is used on sites external to your own. So let's say a banners is on site a.com and sends the visitor to b.com/offer UTM params are used so the source in GA is not a referral from a.com and instead reflects a campaign. So the UTM params could look something like: b.com/offer?utm_source=nameofadnetworkorsite&utm_source=cpc&utm_content=offer_a350x250_v2&utm_campaign=June=Subscriber+Push

Then site B owner would see the proper attribution for the campaign and the appropriate channel would get credit.

If the banners are on your clients site, then UTM params should be used IF they send traffic to an external site (your client is a publisher and sells advertising). In this scenario, event tracking could also be used to measure the clicks and where they go for your client.

If the banners are on your clients site and point to the same site but another page or offer then UTM's should NEVER be used and instead use event tracking.

GTM (Tag Manager) is a method to deploy GA and other measurement tags and is not relevant in this case, except if you wanted to used it to do exactly that.

More on Event Tracking here:

https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/events

Best,

Theo Bennett
Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jim S
June 2016

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

Hi Jim,

@Theo Bennett has done an excellent job explaining in a bit more detail and I don't want to add to any confusion if possible. 

By tagging banners, I mean the URLs attached to them - the destination URLs (where users are sent when they click the banner) and you should absolutely do that - that's how UTM tags and attribution work.  We're talking about the same thing. Smiley Happy  

-Tommy

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Hey Jim,
I started answering before anyone else jumped in so hope I didn't confuse you! Smiley Happy

@PPCBossman (thanks for the mention and kind words) and I are saying the same thing: If the banner click goes to a DIFFERENT domain it's always best practice to use UTM tagging on those links so the site owner sees the proper attribution. If the banner is promoting an offer on the same site then never use UTM tagging. GTM is not really relevant.

Best,

Theo Bennett

Connect on LinkedIn

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thanks everyone!

UTM or Tag Manager

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi all,

If my banner is sending visitor to a different domain, I understand I have to use UTM. Can I use GTM for this or have to use Google analytics code manually?  Thanks.

UTM or Tag Manager

Rising Star
# 9
Rising Star

Hi Raju,

GTM does not really play a role here.  You have banners on site A sending traffic to site B.  The owner of site B 9the advertiser that paid for the traffic, should have tracking parameters appended to the landing page URL.

Best,

Theo

Connect on LinkedIn

UTM or Tag Manager

Follower ✭ ☆ ☆
# 10
Follower ✭ ☆ ☆

Thanks for the response Theo. If I am using Google analytics and Google adwords, by auto tagging parameters are attached automatically attached. But if I am sending traffic say Bing then I need to add parameters manually or use Google url builder, is that right?

So just GA gives the data and GTM has no role as no tag or trigger is created, is that right?