Analytics
2.7K members online now
2.7K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Tracking alongside Auto-Tagging

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi!

Wondering if anyone could help me with a specific question about setting up manual tags with utms.

I am running advertisements through both adwords (GDN and youtube ads) and other paid media (facebook, partner media sites etc). 

I have set up utm tracking codes for all paid media, and want to enable auto-tagging for the adwords ads. 

However my client wants manual tags for the the adwords ads as well so that the final url for the adwords and other paid media match in analytics.  However, if I set up manual tags for google display ads, then I won't know the specific utm_source for these ads. Is it worth it to create tags with ex) utm_displaysite as a source, or should I just recommend auto-tagging?

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: UTM Tracking alongside Auto-Tagging

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star
Enable auto-tagging, add custom parameters via tracking templates - https://support.google.com/adwords/answer/6076199?hl=en - and you get the best of both worlds.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Phillip,
Thanks for your response! I read the article on custom parameters, but I am a little confused about what extra value they could add as I have never used these... could you elaborate?
My current plan is simply to ensure that each adwords ad drives to the correct final url (our landing page) and to enable auto-tagging.

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Perhaps I did not understand your issue. Are you including the UTM variables as part of the landing page you expect to see?