AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Tracking Code in email Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
  • I am running an email campaign to increase app downloads & provide  app store link with UTM tracking in the mail.
  • Ideally when the user clicks the link from his device and installs the app, it should reflect in the google analytics account.
  • But all I see is increase in direct-not set traffic and no tracking for the UTM labels set by me.
  • What could be the reason that tracking is not being done properly? I observed the following behavior when I tested the link.

User Clicks Link--->Chrome Webpage(1 seconds delay)--->Play store App Page

• Does the 2 sec Chrome Webpage delay cause the referrer to change to direct?
1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lovneesh T
May 2016

Re: UTM Tracking Code in email Campaign

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You need to load a landing page that has your tracking code in it and enough time to run in order to get any data. So load a page with message "Sending you to Play store" and increase the delay before redirect so that ga script has more time to complete.
--
To make bad day worse, spend it wishing for the impossible

Antti Nylund, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi,

can you share the landing page URL that user sees after clicking the link in email?
--

Did my answer solve your issue? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Otherwise keep on asking.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,
There s no URL for the intermediate webpage, but i guess that is just a redirect page to the play store. Does this cause the UTM source change to direct?
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Lovneesh T
May 2016

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor
You need to load a landing page that has your tracking code in it and enough time to run in order to get any data. So load a page with message "Sending you to Play store" and increase the delay before redirect so that ga script has more time to complete.
--