AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.4K members online now
4.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Tracking Code in email Campaign

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I was not able to track (link clicks) in my email campaigns via Google Analytics. So the email marketing company has recommended me to use UTM tracking. I have gone through the articles - https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1033867?hl=en, https://support.google.com/analytics/answ... etc, but i couldn't understand how will i use the UTM code to track email campaign. Where will i paste the snippet? Can you please elaborate on this.

Thank You

-Hisham

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Hisham a
April 2016

Re: UTM Tracking Code in email Campaign

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

The links we're discussing would be in email, so there is zero impact on SEO. I try not to judge forum discussions I'm not part of - but I would ignore any "best practice" SEO discussion from 2011. Ask any panda, penguin, or hummingbird how different 2016 is :-)

To be honest, a link with a bunch of UTM variables in it is unlikely to be a "natural" link, so I would avoid using them in link-building.  They are fine in any "view as a webpage" option most email newsletter services provide. If a UTM-stuffed URL gets indexed, search engines know what they are and are smart enough to deal with them.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Hisham,

You need to use the tagged URL you create using the URL builder in the emails for the links back to your site.
When someone visits your site from the link in the email, GA will collect the campaign information from the utm parameters and you'll be able to see the reports in Acquisition -> Campaigns -> All Campaigns
Let me know if you have questions.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Rising Star
# 3
Rising Star
Use the tool to create your link. Lets say your email campaign has the link Come Visit Us - http://example.com/specialoffer.html and we assume you already have Google Analytics working on example.com.

Use the tool to add in your email campaign source (newsletter), medium (email), and campaign (april-blast). You can leave the others blank. The end result is the link you use in your email: Come Visit Us - http://example.com/?utm_source=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=april-blast

When someone clicks on the link, GA will understand all of this and track everything for you,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Than You for the information. If i use the UTM will it be having any effect on SEO? I have read an article - "https://www.quora.com/Does-using-Google-Campaign-Tracking-URLs-affect-SEO-when-link-building" it was mentioning that if we use UTM codes Search engines will consider it as a duplicate page. Can you please explain on this too?

Thank You
-Hisham

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Philip,

Thank You for the info. Another question i have is if i have multiple urls in a template, i can create different UTM for different urls?
If i send the newsletter every month do i have to create new UTM or i can use the same.

Thank You
-Hisham

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
Yes - you can create a different UTM for every URL. You may want to use some of the other variables to make tracking a bit easier. I've found that using different campaign source for each mailing list, and different campaign for each email blast, and a different Campaign Content for each link in the email provides the best tracking - but I'm an analytics guy :-)
Accepted by topic author Hisham a
April 2016

[ Edited ]
Rising Star
# 7
Rising Star

The links we're discussing would be in email, so there is zero impact on SEO. I try not to judge forum discussions I'm not part of - but I would ignore any "best practice" SEO discussion from 2011. Ask any panda, penguin, or hummingbird how different 2016 is :-)

To be honest, a link with a bunch of UTM variables in it is unlikely to be a "natural" link, so I would avoid using them in link-building.  They are fine in any "view as a webpage" option most email newsletter services provide. If a UTM-stuffed URL gets indexed, search engines know what they are and are smart enough to deal with them.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Thank You Phillip, Thank You for your help Smiley Happy