AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UTM Parameters Disappearing after Website Interaction

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

I'm working with a client who has just launched a website, to which we are driving traffic through Google paid search, and Facebook ads using UTM urls. The website is a one page website, however there is some functionality that users can click that results in a changed URL. The problem I'm running into is that when entering through a tracking URL through paid search and/or Facebook Ads, the UTM parameters disappear, and the conversion is in turn attributed to organic search rather than paid search, which is highly unlikely considering the website has not even been live long enough to fully index by Google. Additionally, we have not overridden the paid search auto-tagging.

Has anybody run into this problem with misattributed conversions? I realize I can look at the multi-channel funnel report in terms of tracking conversion, however I feel like this may also be affecting bounce rate/session duration

Thanks,

Brett

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Brett P,

Do you have a URL which any of us this end can use to test the change in tracking?

Many thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi @Brett P,

I'll admit, I'm no web designer but your one page doesn't act like a normal one page website for me. By clicking the sign up button, it takes me to www.trynoxy.com/noxy/sign-up which acts as a separate page, I would usually expect to see something like www.trynoxy.com#sign-up. Other than that though, assuming your tracking is correctly used instead of the testing UTM parameters, Analytics should track the correct source.

On a side note, looking at your Google Tag Manager implementation is there a specific reason you've added it at the bottom of the <body> tag?

Many thanks,

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Chris,

The design/development team used a CMS called Brandcast to create the site, which only allowed code placement through an input box/plug-in.