AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

URGENT Help:Userid Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello All,

My question is very specific ,Suppose I have a website with login facility,after login users can make a purchase ,change their profile etc.

My question if i want to implement userid feature in GA and capture users that only logged in  do i have to implement the userid specific code to the login successful page only or all the pages  INDIVIDUALLY after user logins in  AND access like purchase,profile change page etc?

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Top Contributor
# 3
Top Contributor

Implement User ID for EVERY hit where available

VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

can u please explain a little?

Re: URGENT Help:Userid Google Analytics

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor

1- Use full words, such as "you" instead of "u". We are not recycling electrons here.

2- if your developer knows where to get your username/user ID from, have him put that value in the userID field in the GA call

3- it helps if user id is cookied so you can grab it easily and push it to GA or (even better) via GTM.

In order to pass user id information to your GA tag, either add a field in the GA page tag BEFORE the 'send' instruction:

ga('set', 'userId', 'soumik');

In GTM, go to your GA tag and go to Fields to add and select userId and specify the value.

Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Thank you.Sorry for that short form I used.Now my question is do i put that user id GA code in every page or just in the page when a user successfully lands after login.

Suppose I have a website,where there is two section one for all users and one  for logged in user.Now when  a user log in he can use  additional option like create a profile,like this ..Now if i only interested to track this logged in user do i have to put the userid code  in the page when a user successfully login or have to put the userid code in every page after the user login and can access? 

Top Contributor
# 7
Top Contributor

Like I said, put it in every page. User ID views only reports hits that contain a user id.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 8
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

I have a question.

If a user is assigned to a userid,then the subsequent hits of the user is assigned to the same user id.Am i right?

Suppose I have assigned a unique  userid to a user who just logged in my website ,then afterwards all the hits from him like the pages he visited,any event he triggered is grouped under the same userid and i can view the activity within user explorer report in Google analytics.Am i right?

Top Contributor
# 9
Top Contributor

Correct, this is part of the useful effects of user id tracking