AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
4.2K members online now
4.2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

UA account with GA code

AX
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
AX
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi,

In as much detail as you can, what are the implications/risks/features missed by having a UA account (i.e. the account UI auto upgraded) but the ga.js code was never changed on site.

I read something about ga.js being client side and analytics.js being server side - can anyone elaborate on that?  I.e. why one is preferred over the other and what the implications are if the code is still ga.js.

Much appreciated.

Re: UA account with GA code

A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 2
A T
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi,

please refer: http://www.cardinalpath.com/which-version-of-google-analytics-is-right-for-you-determine-whether-you...

It is always recommended to use the latest version of the GA.

Best Regards,
GA Guru.

'Star' or 'Accept as Solution' if it helped.

Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Explorer ✭ ✭ ✭
The analytics.js library is the latest JavaScript library for Google Analytics designed to take advantage of all the new features of the Universal Analytics platform.

Universal Analytics is better at events, more accurate/faster as it is Asynchronous and is designed to cater for the ever increasing E-Commerce market (something that previous versions were not very good at). It is also better at multiple/cross-device tracking as it has the ability to use a unique identifier like login to establish if a user is continuing his/her journey on a different device.

AX
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
AX
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks Bryan,

To clarify, I am experienced with GA/UA - I'm just interested in the reasoning behind it and implications for not implementing properly.  Specifically:

"The analytics.js library is the latest JavaScript library for Google Analytics designed to take advantage of all the new features of the Universal Analytics platform."

- What new features?  And not updating the code from ga.js to analytics.js means the new features cannot be used?

"Universal Analytics is better at events"

- Can you elaborate on this?

"more accurate/faster as it is Asynchronous"

- And this?

"and is designed to cater for the ever increasing E-Commerce market"

- In what way?  My understanding is that you would need enhanced ecommerce set up to significantly improve Ecom performance.

"(something that previous versions were not very good at)"

- Why were previous versions not very good?

"It is also better at multiple/cross-device tracking as it has the ability to use a unique identifier like login to establish if a user is continuing his/her journey on a different device."

- Are you referring to UserID?

What does it mean in terms of reliability and data accuracy running the new UI with the old ga.js code?  Specifically what is the risk of doing this?

I guess what I'm trying to do is build a business case for why a client needs to change all of their ga.js code on their site when in their eyes tracking is working correctly.  I know the theory (barring the questions above) I'm struggling to communicate it in a way a lay person will say, "we need to change this NOW".

Also, is there any indication of when GA will 'turn off' the ga.js library?

Thanks again - please don't mind the tone, I'm just trying to be as explicit as possible to be able to make an iron clad case to avoid the inevitable - "well it's working fine now..." comments.

AX
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
AX
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bryan,

I added you into a circle on G+ (although I notice the names are different - myself and my colleague use this account).

Your feedback is much appreciated on this.

Thanks

James