AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
2.6K members online now
2.6K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Two sets of google tracking scripts on the same site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello,

We are working on a new website for a client. Their current website has two sets of google tracking script with a different track account in each. One is in the header and the other is in the footer. I don't believe they even know it is set up this way because when we asked for access to their tracking account, they only gave us the one.

Is this the correct way to set up tracking on a site? Here is their URL?  http://visionpointllc.com/

Their one account we have access to shows very little traffic:  UA-42200759-1

But, their provided some document from their hosting company that shows a totally different story of much higher traffic.

Having the two sets of code, would one account take precedence over the other?

I've never set up a site with two codes, so this is new to me. And, the client is clueless about it so I'm not getting much help from them.

Thank you,

Joe

1 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Two sets of google tracking scripts on the same site?

Rising Star
# 2
Rising Star

Hey Joe,

Their tracking is hosed. You can use two trackers but it you do, you have to name one of them.

If you use the GA DEBUG extension for chrome you can see that the second tracker is torpedoed.

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/google-analytics-debugger/jnkmfdileelhofjcijamephohjechhna...

ss visionpoint_1.png

Best,

Theo Bennett

Analytics Evangelist at MoreVisibility | Contact Me
Connect on LinkedIn

Re: Two sets of google tracking scripts on the same site?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
OK, I'm not sure I follow. These are the two sets. Is one named auto and the other visionpointllc.com. Is it because the first says Auto. Can you clarify a little more? Thank you Theo!

ga('create', 'UA-54468825-1', 'auto');

ga('create', 'UA-42200759-1', 'visionpointllc.com');