Analytics
2K members online now
2K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Two GA properties using the same clientID

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi everyone,

I have two websites that are tracked under two different GA properties (tracking IDs).

• domain.com => UA-XXXXXX-1
  • sub.domain.com => UA-XXXXXX-2

Desired Result

sub.domain.com

• If a user has visited domain.com prior to visiting sub.domain.com, the user is not counted as a new user but as a returning user.

domain.com

• The same logic applies to the opposite direction. If a user has visited sub.domain.com prior visiting domain.com, then it's a returning visitor for domain.com.

The pageview tags on both sites (implemented via Tag Manager) have set cookieDomain:auto. This should ensure that both websites use the same clientID.

Reality

Over 60% of sub.domain.com visits from domain.com are new users. In theory, there should be 0 new users in both directions.

Any ideas what am I missing?

Thank you,

Robin

1 Expert replyverified_user

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi :-)

For subdomain tracking, they both need to be using the same Property/tracking id and you need to ensure that the parent domain is on the Referral Exclusion List.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Bronwyn,

Thanks for your reply.

My goal is not to implement standard cross-domain tracking. There are reasons why each site has its own property.

Any ideas how to make it work with this setup?

Cheers,

Robin

Re: Two GA properties using the same clientID

[ Edited ]
Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi :-)
I was referring to subdomain tracking..not cross domain tracking.

I did find the following on an article about subdomain tracking by lunametrics.. but again.. the same property is used.. not seperate properties/tracking ids.

If you have a particular scenario where you want to track the cross-subdomain traffic as a single session in one view, and as a referrer in another view, then there’s a special solution just for you. Because the Referral Exclusion List is a property setting, the view that combines subdomains will also receive the referrer information, breaking sessions. In this case, the root domain must be absent from the Referral Exclusion List, and the referrer information must be removed with a Filter on the combined view.

Ref: http://www.lunametrics.com/blog/2016/08/11/subdomain-tracking-google-analytics/

I may be wrong but each site and tracking id generates its own clientID, they wont mix info because it then becomes 3rd party cookies, not 1st party which is what analytics uses.

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Sharing clientID between these two properties is not a problem (cookieDomain: auto). Both tracking codes work with the same clientID (verified via multiple tests) but each GA property work with a different data set. As a result, even though the clientID is identical, a new user will be always created if it's a new user for that tracking ID.