AdWords is now Google Ads. Our new name reflects the full range of advertising options we offer across Search, Display, YouTube, and more. Learn more

Analytics
1.9K members online now
1.9K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tricky cross-domain tracking question

J B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
J B
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have a software with a salessite.com and a software.softwarename.com location which is a little strange because it's on a subdomain and the original domain is now redirecting to salessite.com. In order to track where the sales come from I'd like to have the cookie fired on the home page of the software, but people will be visiting this many times and I don't want it to count as multiple sales. Is this possible? And is this information up-to-date: https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en

Tricky cross-domain tracking question

Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆
# 2
Explorer ✭ ✭ ☆

Set the cross domain as instructed. It doesn't matter if it's from/to a sub-domain, as long as it's another domain. You have to set cross-domain because of traffic going between salessite.com and software.softwarename.com (but you wouldn't if you had salessite.com and software.salessite.com).

Each transaction will have a unique transaction id and will be recorded only once per session. If they visit many times, you might have multiple sessions (and pageviews), and for some reason you transaction is firing every time, you will need to find a way to prevent that. Maybe I'm missing some info, but I fail to see a reason why someone would see the same transaction multiple times - is it because people come back to see their transaction receipt? In which case, you need to make sure you don't fire the GA transaction again.