Analytics
4.5K members online now
4.5K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Transfer analytics from personal to webmaster account

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

We have universal analytics setup for our entire web presence, which is working well across 150+ websites. However, when we were doing intial setup a few years back, 3 of the 150 websites were accidentally set up using my personal analytics account rather than the universal webmaster account.

I have now created new records for these 3 websites on the webmaster account and have updated the tracking code on each website correspondingly. However, no traffic is being recorded on these 3 sites. I have inspected the page to make sure the new tracking code is showing up in the generated source and it is.

Please let me know if I can provide more information, just curious if there was something basic I was missing when transferring analytics from one account to another. Like do I need to delete the records from my personal analytics account to have the new one show up or verify with google somehow that the new code is legit? 

Thanks,

Derek

2 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derek O
March 2016

Re: Transfer analytics from personal to webmaster account

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
I have two google analytics accounts I create them in one and then let them gather data for two months then I transffer it over to the second account so that those who are interested in my organization can see the metrics and do analysis. If a site is taken down I then transfer that account back to my first account to hold for historical purposes. We do this all the time and it works great just make sure that you give your new account admin permissions at the top level and you should be golden.

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi Derek,

When did you set up the new properties? It can take up to 24 hours for the data to start showing up in the reports. You can check if your tracking tag is working using the Google Tag Assistant or GA debugger Chrome plugins. Hope this helps.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Arnold,

Thanks for your response, I set everything up on Friday and clicked the send test traffic button and also visited the site a few times and still nothing today (Monday). I will try out the tools you recommended and see if I can figure out anything that way.

Thanks,
Derek

Rising Star
# 4
Rising Star
Derek could you not have just added your webmaster as an administrator to the existing accounts and then gone into manage users and removed you personal account from it. This way your old tracking code would have continued to work and your historical data would have remained intact, but the accounts would be transffered to your webmaster account.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Brian,

I thought the analytics profile would be attached to the user who created it, I didn't realize you could just transfer over administration that way. I will try that and report back if it works.

Thanks,
Derek
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Derek O
March 2016

Rising Star
# 6
Rising Star
I have two google analytics accounts I create them in one and then let them gather data for two months then I transffer it over to the second account so that those who are interested in my organization can see the metrics and do analysis. If a site is taken down I then transfer that account back to my first account to hold for historical purposes. We do this all the time and it works great just make sure that you give your new account admin permissions at the top level and you should be golden.

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks, pretty sure this will resolve!