Analytics
6.8K members online now
6.8K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Traffic shows in real time view; reduced in "standard" reports

[ Edited ]
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

I have a property where I am seeing data come through in the real time view, but after leaving it 24 hours I see greatly reduced traffic in the "standard" reports. I have allowed around ten days now, and the additional data never populates.

As an example, I may see around four thousand page views per hour in the real time view. However, when I view standard reports the next day, I see maximum 1000 for the entire day.

There are no filters on my account.

How might I begin to debug this?

1 Expert replyverified_user
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author Dan G
November 2016

Traffic shows in real time view; reduced in "standard" reports

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi @Dan G :-)
Normal processing latency is 24-48hrs. This is not considered unusual or an issue.
Sometimes you will get data on the same day.. other times you may have to wait . also bare in mind the report at the upper right defaults to the previous day as well
If you look at data for 48+ hours ago.. is data that seemed to be previously 'missing' in the reports?

Are you maybe running into data limit issues?

Standard accounts that send more than 200,000 sessions per day to Analytics will result in the reports being refreshed only once a day. This can delay updates to reports and metrics for up to two days. To restore intra-day processing, reduce the number of sessions your account sends to < 200,000 per day. For Analytics 360 accounts, this limit is extended to 2 billion hits per month.

Further limits also apply eg

This applies to analytics.js, Android iOS SDK, and the Measurement Protocol.

• 200,000 hits per user per day
  • 500 hits per session

If you go over either of these limits, additional hits will not be processed for that session / day, respectively. 

You can find more info about these here:
https://developers.google.com/analytics/devguides/collection/analyticsjs/limits-quotas

Also have you checked and browsed the site with Google Tag Assistant to see if there seems to be any tag or processing errors?

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here

Traffic shows in real time view; reduced in &quot;standard&quot; reports

Follower ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Follower ✭ ✭ ✭

You can also apply "hours" in secondary dimension to see the missing time

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks for your reply. To be clear (because I wasn't originally): I say 24 hours because in my experience that's how long it takes with this property previously. This has now been going on for two weeks and the data still hasn't populated.

The main change I have made is that I am not using the measurement protocol; before it was utm.gif.

Ah! Looks like that might be the issue - 500 hits per session - I think I am going over that. I'll try to fix this!

This is not a website - it's an app, and the analytics calls are programmatic.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Yep - the quotas were the cause. RTFM!

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Thanks for the updated, pleased to hear you have it sorted  :-)

Bronwyn Vourtis, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please mark it as the ‘Best Answer.’ Learn how here