Analytics
3.4K members online now
3.4K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Traffic from my website is being attributed to another Google Analytics ID and is one I can't access

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi...the traffic to my website has suddenly flatlined a few days ago.

I have used Google Tag Manager to record and view some pages live. This has shown up the following message below...

'The recording contains hits sent to this property, but you (XXX@XXX.com) don't have permissions in Google Analytics for its views. You won't be able to see view-specific information.'

My basic understanding is that somehow the traffic to my web pages is now being attributed to another UA property.

I've no idea how this happened and the UA number is one that I can't access.

How do I make changes to direct the traffic back to my current UA number?

Thanks, John

1 Expert replyverified_user
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Marked as Best Answer.
Solution
Accepted by topic author John F
February 2017

Traffic from my website is being attributed to another Google Analytics ID and is one I can't access

Top Contributor
# 14
Top Contributor

That's great, your tracking code is working now. You should be receiving data now. The other tracking code belongs to privy, the newsletter subscribe widget, that is ok.

So we've figured out that the optimize plugin breaks the tracking code by combining javascripts. If it has an option to disable combining please use it. Let me know which plugins you end up using and I'll take another look on the site.

Arnold Majlath, Google Analytics Top Contributor
Was my response helpful? If yes, please accept it as solution.
Circle Me On Google+ | Visit me @ Redfly Digital

View solution in original post

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor

Hi,

In Google Analytics go to Admin -> Property -> Tracking Info -> Tracking code, get the UA-ID and add it to the Universal Analytics tracking tag settings In Google Tag Manager. Publish your changes and your data will go to the correct property. Let me know if you have questions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hello Arnold, thanks for the help. I referenced Tag Manager up above but actually meant the chrome extension for Tag Assistant. I've since registered for Tag Manager and it looks like you have to put code on all pages of the website which may be beyond me unless I use a wordpress plugin to achieve that.

If I get that far, I'll do what you suggest above and see how it goes!

Top Contributor
# 4
Top Contributor

Hi John,

If you are using the Google Analytics tracking code on your site, you need to update it so it has the UA-ID from the GA admin as I described above. If you are not using a template, you need to go through each page and check/update the UA-ID. Let me know if you have more questions, if you can post your site URL, I might would be able to give you more specific suggestions.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 5
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi Arnold, my website is: cricketyorkshire.com, any further advice appreciated. For my limited understanding, the WP plugin for Google Analytics isn't doing its job but I don't know how I would change the UA-ID - specifically which files to alter and where to do that. Given that lack of expertise, would it make sense to try to automate it with another plugin?

Top Contributor
# 6
Top Contributor

Hi,

It seems that you have two tracking codes on your site, UA-20331028-1 is working properly and UA-59842084-1 is broken.

Which one is the one you can access?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi, unfortunately, I can only access the one that is currently broken.
No idea where UA-20331028-1 came from.

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor

You have the jch optimize plugin installed, it combines the javascript codes so it is possible that it breaks your tracking code. Can you disable that plugin so I can check what is the situation without it?

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Thanks...I've just disabled it now....the other plugins that have been added and may be culprits (still currently live) are WP Fastest Cache and WP Fastest Cache Premium.

Top Contributor
# 10
Top Contributor

It seems that still the cached version is being served, can you please disable caching?