Analytics
2.3K members online now
2.3K members online now
Dive into multiple domain (Cross/Sub) tracking, implementing Ecommerce and Enhanced Ecommerce, setting up Event tracking, and Universal Analytics code.

Guide Me
star_border

Tracking website with aspx pages

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 1
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭

Hi guys,

I am working on creating conversion funnels with ASP.NET pages as the destination pages. 

The core website contains normal HTML pages which are well-tracked on Google Analytics (e.g. google.com). However, it contains hyperlinks to some sub-pages with different host name (e.g. notracking.google.com). These sub-pages are built with ASP.NET, secured, and not tracked by GA (I found no GA tracking codes implemented).

My challenge is there are several possible reason that those ASPX pages are not tracked:

1. Those are secured pages (https)

2. Those pages are ASPX pages, dynamic and thus not tracked

3. It is just because the tracking codes are missing, adding the codes back would work

I would like to see if anyone of you had encountered similar situation before. Any comments / recommendations / questions are very much appreciated.

2 Expert replyverified_user

Re: Tracking website with aspx pages

Top Contributor
# 2
Top Contributor
Hi David,

Just tell us the subdomain URLs that aren't currently tracking. We then may take a look at them.

Christoph

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 3
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Christoph,

Thanks for replying me.

Sadly I cannot disclose the URL because I don't own the website. However, I can give more descriptions about the situation:

The sub pages are like: If I click on a button on the main website (i.e. google.com), a new window will pop up bringing me to the aspx pages (i.e. notracking.google.com). So the new pages are not loaded in the same tab, and the URL is under a different host name.

I hope this can help you to understand my situation. Thank you very much.

David

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 4
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi David,

I guess if you manually implement the GA codes on those pages, the page views and other standard metrics would be captured.
However, I am not sure if you can pass a UTM tracker/parameter on the URL from the start till the end of the whole process. This would be needed to measure campaign performance/conversion attribution. If anyone knows, please share

A

Top Contributor
# 5
Top Contributor
Hi, your answer is #3
#1 is not a factor
#2 is not a factor (the platform itself is never a factor per se)
VP & Chief Evangelist at Hub'Scan | Contact me
Level 80 Digital Analytics Warrior, KPI Therapist and Keeper of the One True Tagging Plan

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 6
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi Julien, Thanks for pointing a way. I will implement the codes and see if the webpages are tracked properly then.

Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
# 7
Visitor ✭ ✭ ✭
Hi A,

Thanks for the reply. The UTM parameters are also needed in my project. However, I don't know if they can be passed between different host names. It would be great if we can get the answer from this thread as well!

David

Top Contributor
# 8
Top Contributor
Hi David,

if you're using current Universal-Analytics code (analytics.js) or corresponding GTM implementation, subdomain tracking is included automatically. Data from both hosts are put in the same data basket, and sessions of users that visited both hosts are stitched together in one session.

Just be sure to include the complete hostname in your page URLs by setting up view filter [1] in order to have that pages distinguished in your reports, e.g. the relevant homepages. Don't forget to update your page URLs in goal setups accordingly if you changed it that way.

In this way, referral information like UTM codes is applied even when goal completions occur on the other host.

Christoph

[1] https://support.google.com/analytics/answer/1034342?hl=en#Next

[ Edited ]
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭
# 9
Participant ✭ ✭ ✭

@webfield (Christoph) gave you an amazing advice. Respect. Smiley Happy

Maybe an offtopic a bit but I felt that I need to specify this sentence: "If you're using current Universal-Analytics code (analytics.js) or corresponding GTM implementation, subdomain tracking is included automatically." - That's not completely true. Smiley Happy

If you use the default GA tracking code with the "auto" parameter, it's fine but regarding the GTM, unfortunately, that’s not true. You do need a configuration setting, but it’s thankfully very simple. 

Screen Shot 2016-07-31 at 03.40.26.png

If the visitor first visits sub.mysite.com and then moves to www.mysite.com, these two domains will have different _ga cookies, and thus different Client IDs, and thus the user will be a different user with a new session. So clearly, in many, many cases, this will lead to problems.

Keep in mind: always set cookieDomain : auto in your tracker settings if you want to track visitors across subdomains properly. It's not a default setting in the GTM.

I just wanted to specify things a bit.

Taavi